Monday, January 30, 2012

English Leagues in the 60s : Everton Sheffield Wednesday FA Cup 1965 1966

7 May 1966
Wembley Stadium,

Attendance: 100,000
Referee: Jack Taylor

  The other club in the 'sleeping giant' category were Sheffield Wednesday. The Owls, like Everton, had not visited Wembley since the war and had been sustained for three decades by their thrilling 1935 victory over West Brom. Wembley apart, Hillsborough is arguably the most famous FA Cup venue, but in 1966 it didn't stage a single tie. Wednesday's far-flung route saw them visit Reading, Newcastle, Huddersfield and Blackburn, emerging victorious each time. Johnny Faniham, David Ford and Jim McCalliog provided the goals, but they lined up at Villa Park as underdogs in their semi-final against Chelsea. Tommy Docherty's side were keen to avenge their defeat at the same stage a year earlier but failed to cope with a heavy pitch. Graham Pugh and Jim McCalliog saw Wednesday home and Chelsea left Villa Park with that sinking semi-final feeling again.

Wednesday fans still wake up sweating over this final, and it all started so promisingly for them. After only four minutes, David Ford's cross was met by Jim McCalliog, whose shot was deflected by Ray Wilson past Gordon West. It was the first FA Cup goal that Everton had conceded this season, and it appeared to upset their disciplined game plan. They laboured for the rest of the half, but could make little headway. Everton's game looked well and truly up after fifty-seven minutes. Although Gordon West parried John Fantham's shot, David Ford turned from provider to goalscorer as he tapped home the rebound. Many Everton fans were now looking accusingly at the bench. Manager Harry Catterick had sprung a major, and unpopular, surprise by dropping centre-forward Fred Pickering, a fan's favourite, and replacing him with the young and largely untried Mike Trebilcock. The young striker had been signed over the New Year from Plymouth but had made only seven league appearances. His status as a fringe player seemed unarguable when his details weren't even included in the match programme, but with Everton staring down both barrels, he responded in the best possible fashion. 

 If Wednesday had held Everton for another ten minutes, the Cup would surely have been theirs. Having gained a two-goal lead they just needed to keep their shape and discipline. Within two minutes, though, Everton had scored, and the tide of the match had turned. Wednesday's England international keeper Ron Springett looked Co have kept Everton at bay as he blocked Derek Temple's header. The ball fell to Trebilcock, who drove home. Suddenly, Wednesday were a bag of nerves. Everton poured forward and five minutes later they were level. Alex Scott's free-kick was met by a feeble defensive header from centre-half Sam Ellis. Trebilcock was on hand to lash in his second. Everything was now running Everton's way. With ten minutes left, they won the Cup with a goal out of nothing. A hopeful punt out of defence should have been meat and drink for Owls' centre-half Gerry Young, but he inexplicably took his eye off the ball at the crucial moment. It squirmed under his foot and Derek Temple hared after it from the centre circle. Springett's charge from his line was as panic-stricken as Temple's finish was unruffled. The ball nesded in the net and Wednesday's heartbreak was complete. The Cup stayed on Merseyside.

Everton: west, Wright, Wilson, Gabriel, Labone ©, Harris, Scott, Trebilcock (2), Young, Harvey. Temple (1)
Sheffield Wednesday: Springett, Smith, Megson ©, Eustace, Ellis, Young, Pugh, FantHam, Mccalliog (1), Ford (1), Quinn

Codec H264, Mkv
Bitrate 1200
Sound 128 kbps
English Comments
Full Game



  1. Thanks to Thewildbunch22 for posting this match - a classic game from 46 years ago!

  2. Very energetic blog, I liked that a lot. Will there be a part 2?
    Here is my weblog ... diet solution recipes