Saturday, May 1, 2021

Scottish Cup 1988 1989 "The Old Firm" Celtic Rangers

Final
20 May 1989
Hampden Park Glasgow

Attendance: 72,069
Referee: Bob Valentine


 Big Billy had taken us away and we were short on numbers as Andy Walker got injured up at Aberdeen and had damaged his eye after taking a kick. That opened up the space for me to play centre-forward as it just left Mark McGhee up front himself. So big Billy shifted things about and I went up front with Mark McGhee for the last three games of the season which was Hibernian and St Mirren and then the cup final. Going into the game we were confident anyway. There were a lot of other things happening in the background with the Maurice Johnston signing and everything – he was coming to the club at that time – so all the pressure was being taken off us regarding how we were going to play, it was all about who we were going to sign. We were all pretty relaxed and confident anyway. We were hitting a bit of form and I had scored in both games against St Mirren and Hibs too.

 We had a point to prove as Rangers had obviously done the double and wanted to get one over us. It was in our hands to stop them doing that. I think there was a determination as a squad and quite a lot of the players in the squad were Celtic fans as well, and we did everything we could to stop Rangers winning the treble. Was it a Celtic throw-in or not? Roy Aitken and John Brown were over at the touchline and Roy had the foresight and cheek to take the throw. I don’t think the referee had too much of a clue whose throw it was so he just played on. There was a long ball forward from Peter Grant but it wasn’t going to reach me.I think the ball went up in the air off Gough and then I read the back pass back from Stevens. I had no time to think about it. I just picked my spot. Prior to that he had a few short pass backs and was forcing Chris Woods to come and sprint out. I think there were three before that which were going short, so I managed to sprint on to it.
 To this day you I’m still getting reminded of it by supporters. Throughout your career, it’s probably every boy’s dream to score for the team they support, and I was no different. There were a lot of other highlights in my career that I did enjoy. Being part of the double team the year before was immense and my debut, I enjoyed that. There were a lot of highlights but you are always remembered for that goal, which is sad in a way that they only pick out that goal. It wasn’t a particularly great game but we stopped Rangers doing the treble and it put me in the history books. (Joe Miller)(.thecelticwiki.com)

Scot.Cp.1988.1989.Rang.Clt.twb22.blogspot.com.Res.mkv
526.0 Mo
https://uptobox.com/pik14fow191m


Celtic: Bonner, Morris, Rogan, Aitken, McCarthy, Whyte, Grant, McStay, Miller, McGhee, Burns
Goals: Miller (42)
Rangers: Woods, Stevens, Munro (Souness), Gough, Sterland (Cooper), Butcher, Drinkell, Ferguson, McCoist, Brown, Walters 
























No comments:

Post a Comment

NO LINKS ALLOWED