Tuesday, March 22, 2011

European Cup 1977 1978 Liverpool Bruges

Wembley Stadium, London
10th May 1978

Attendante: 92,000
Referee: Corver (Netherlands)

This year's Final was as dull and disappointing as the previous year's had been thrilling. Bruges, perhaps daunted by the occasion and the opposition, came to defend and play for penalties. Hit by injuries, with their two most influential players Lambert and Courant sidelined, it made little sense to take risks. Liverpool were below par, and the game was a tedious affair.
Fairclough started the game in place of an unfit Heighway and Hansen replaced the injured Smith. Danish international goalkeeper Birger Jensen produced a classy and assured performance to keep out Liverpool's assaults on goal, many of which originated from Souness's intelligent probing from midfield. The game remained goal-less at haiï time, and a Case free-kick was the closest Liverpool had corne to scoring.

In the 64th minute Heighway came on for Case and Liverpool made their breakthrough two minutes later. Souness chested down on the edge of the area and found Dalglish with a neat through pass which split the defence. Dalglish waited until Jensen advanced and he chipped delicately over the keeper to the inside of the far post. And that was that, apart from a scare towards the end of the game when a bad Hansen back-pass let in Sorenson, and Thompson had to clear the bail off the goal line.
It had been a long season for Liverpool: they had lost the League championship to Nottingham Forest and been beaten in the League Cup Final, also by Forest. As consolation, they had just become the first British club to have won the European Cup twice. However, they were not finished in Europe yet.

The teams
Liverpool: Clemence, Hughes, Neal, Thompson, R. Kennedy, Hughes, Dalglish, Case (Heighway), Fairclough, McDermott, Souness (manager: Paisley) [Dalglish 66]
Bruges: Jensen, Bastijns, Maes (Volder), Krieger, Leekens, Cools, de Cubber, Vandereycken. Simoen, Ku (Sanders), Sorensen (manager: Happel)

Full Game:

Codec H264, Mkv
Bitrate 1300
Sound 128kbps
English Comments



Thanks to Paulo for rapidshare reupload
Great Help

Resume 50mnts: 

Codec H264, Mkv
Bitrate 1300
Sound 128kbps
English Comments


After captaining Liverpool to a Europeen Cup win in Rome, Emlyn Hughes had been asked if there was anything left for Liverpool to achieve, he replied: 'Win it again, I suppose'. And, 12 months later, he led the Reds out for a second successive European Cup Final. Liverpool had already beaten the Belgians in a UEFA Cup Final two years earlier. With Wembley as the venue and FC Bruges as the opposition, Liverpool kicked off as the strongest favourites in years. When Bruges's Belgian international Raoul Lambert, and their outstanding midfielder, Paul Courant, were ruled out through injury, the odds against a Bruges victory lengthened. Wembley was packed with 92,000 fans, most there to roar on a Liverpool triumph. Yet FC Bruges, the first Belgian club to reach the European Cup Final, had made it to the last stage with some very impressive results, including victories over Panathinaikos, Atletico Madrid and the Italien champions, Juventus. The one worrying factor for Bruges's manager, Ernst Happel, was that although they beaten ail three opponents comfortably at their own ground, they had lost ail three away fixtures. The omens pointed to a Liverpool win, and one company was so confident of a Merseyside victory that it advertised a European Cup winners souvenir about the Reds in the matchday programme.

In the Anfield boot room, though, they were certainly taking nothing for granted, but they might as well have been supremely confident. Liverpool's 1-0 win did not do justice to their total supremacy. Bruges came to defend, hoping that they might snatch a quick break-away goal and steal the game. Even that tactic would have necessitated the occasional foray into attack, but Bruges just allowed Liverpool to corne at them, relying on the offside trap to stop them. It made for an appallingly dull spectacle, and seemed just a matter of time before Liverpool would conjure up some means of defying such negative tactics. Liverpool continued to build patiently and when a chance arrived it was executed to perfection by the two new Scots, Kenny Dalglish and Graeme Souness. It came in the 65th minute, when Souness pushed a elever bail through to Dalglish, who skipped into the box and unleashed a beautiful angled chipped shotthatwon the Europeen Cup. It was his 30th goal of the season, and the memory of Dalglish hurdling the advertising hoardings to salute the crowd remains an indelible one.
There was little else in the game that was memorable. Bruges did attack with some vigour and commit-ment in the last 20 minutes — and Phil Thompson had to kick the bail off the line in the dying moments — but they had left their revival too late. Liverpool had become the first British club to win the European Cup twice, and if anyone had asked Emlyn Hughes what Liverpool had left to achieve after that triumph, he no doubt would hâve replied: 'A hat-trick of European Cups!'. Paisley had led Liverpool to an extraordinary triumph, and his archrival, Nottingham Forest manager Brian Clough, said: 'Bob Paisley has broken this silly myth that nice guys don't win anything.'

Caps Full Game

Caps Resume

No comments:

Post a Comment