Monday, December 27, 2010

English Leagues the 70s: Manchester City Newcastle 1976 Football League Cup

Wembley Stadium
28 Febuary 1976
Attendance: 100,000
Referee: J.K. Taylor

The 1976 Football League Cup Final took place between Manchester City and Newcastle United on 28 February 1976 at Wembley Stadium. It was the sixteenth final and the tenth Football League Cup  final to be played at Wembley. Manchester City won the match 2–1 to win the competition for the second time. The match is best known for its winning goal, an overhead kick by Dennis Tueart.

Resume 40mnts
Codec H264, Mkv
Audio 128Kps
English Comments

Manchester City fielded a lineup unchanged from their previous match, a 3–0 home win against Everton in the league. Colin Bell was absent through injury, having suffered what later transpired to be a career-ending injury in the fourth round derby. Dave Watson was an injury doubt due to a slipped disc, but was selected despite his inability to train in the preceding week.
The opening goal was scored early in the match. Newcastle's Glenn Keeley fouled Joe Royle in the middle of the Newcastle half. The resulting free-kick was hoisted into the penalty area by Asa Hartford, where it was headed across goal by Mike Doyle. Teenage winger Peter Barnes then scored to give Manchester City the lead. Newcastle equalised in the 35th minute, Alan Gowling finishing from a Malcolm Macdonald cross. At the start of the second half a Manchester City attack led to the winning goal, scored by Dennis Tueart, who had supported Newcastle as a boy. A ball by Willie Donachie to the far post was headed across by Tommy Booth. Tueart, with his back to goal, performed an overhead kick that bounced beyond Mike Mahoney into the bottom left corner of the net. After the match Tueart described the goal as "the greatest of my career". No more goals were scored in the match, though Royle had an effort disallowed. City captain Doyle lifted the trophy, and Tony Book became the first man to win the competition as both a player and a manager. 34 years on and City haven't won a major trophy since.

No comments:

Post a Comment